11 October 2008

setting bar high for 29th

Yesterday was my birthday. It was my 27th but Rebs sent out the evite (yes, we still use those, really should hop on the Facebook train) with the title ---- Swanky 29th Birthday.  I made him print a retraction.  I think he really wants me to join him in the 30s club. All in good time.

But it was a FANTASTIC birthday! & now the bar is set VERY high for my real 29th. As my mom wrote in me card, "Enjoy your 29th birthday & this years too."

Anyway, I spent the day outside of my socioeconomic class (in a higher one, I don't know if it would be as fun if I spent time in a lower one).  I went to an amazing spa with a gift certificate left over from my bachlorette party.

Time out for trials of a short girl:
The spa doors were HUGE- like the doors to the Emerald City. I wrestled one open & then had to approach the desk. The desk was taller than my nose. I was wearing heels & still had to stand on my tip-toes to peek over & say, "Hi, I'm here for my appointment."  So intimidating.

Anyway, after that the spa situation improved immensely with a big fluffy robe, amazing facial, frivolous magazines, a hot tub, gorgeous showers with lots of expensive products. sigh. It was so relaxing. I could have stayed all day except the house wasn't ready to have people over. Next time (hoping there will be a next time) I will make sure I have the WHOLE DAY.

After the spa I shopped at Anthropologie for the first time in my life & fell in love. I also got this amazing & perfect dress for my birthday dinner. Plus it goes perfectly with my lavender wedding shoes. I've been looking for things that match them.


Then back to the casa to decorate with my fun neighbor J who volunteered to help.

Later, we met friends at one of my favorite restaurants & lots of people showed up including my beautiful nephew E-man. He's getting so big & was dressed in kid clothes instead of baby ones - he looked like people!  And he was happy & cuddly for the whole dinner.

Then people came over to our place. It was decorated beautifully & we had a cupcake bar. It was my idea & it was really fun. Now I want there to be a cupcake bar at all my parties. 

Later we played Catch Phrase, (my friend are a bit addicted) but by then I had had so much wine I couldn't track very well. I did my best & was slightly dozing surrounded by friends, cupcakes, presents, confetti, & Rebby. It doesn't really get better than that. 

Also 2 friends announced their engagement at the party! SO great! Rebs & I totally started the marrying trend. AND I'm taking credit for their meeting because without one of them volunteering at my youth ministry & thence helping with the Tahoe retreat they wouldn't have met. 

I've always wanted to be cupid.

I've always wanted to be anything that involved wings.

Maybe doesn't sound like the most exciting birthday but it was near perfect for me. Also it beat the socks off last year when I was: homeless, owned a melted car, it was a Wednesday, Andy didn't have time to hang out because he had a retreat the next day. :( 

Clearly, in comparison 27 is treating me GOOD.

And a final thought: this new anthropologie affair is going to be a problem.

0 what would you say?: