06 March 2009

which reminds me

of something that is stuck in my head.


On Inauguration Day President Obama, in the midst of beautiful speech filled with hope, reality, & responsibility, said, "We will not apologize for our way of life nor waver in it's defense..."  This stood out to me because it w
as clipped & repeated on NPR so many times in the following days.

I think our way of life leads a lot to be apologized for. I think a humble look at this would be a good place to start, a recognition that our way of life has much to do with why we are here now.  
I think we should apologize for the fact that people are sleeping on our streets, children are going to school hungry, people are unable to find work. We should apologize to the rest of the world for using more than our fair share 
of the earth's resources & polluting the planet. We should apologize for allowing people to struggle for clean water & a bite to eat. We should apologize for the fact that only the wealthy have access to the best health care & education. We should apologize to women who have unplanned pregnancies, that their choices are killing their child or struggling to support their children with little help from those who care so much about birth but not about life.  We should apologize to the rest of the world for only entering into conflicts that threaten desired resources but not those that threaten non-American life. We should apologize for our worship of money, fame, power, glamour & our empty lip service to peace, love, dignity, & equality.

Ahhh!  The list is so long! But I'm going to stop because I don't want to get into a debate with any one. 

Also because I recognize that I contribute to these things as well. 

And because I just want to go sit in the arms of my fuzzy rhino now.

Image from here.