21 July 2008

things I liked less about Thailand



Squat toilets - I don't even like typing the words so I'm not going to go into detail.

Humidity & my hair- a lethal combination. Thank the Lord I married a guy who likes curls & who doesn't really know the difference between curls & frizz.

Seeing the extremely dark, definitely damage causing tans on many people on Ko Samui & being jealous. WHY? What is it about me that craves leathery skin? So unhealthy, I know that. I do. I know that.

The open air markets that smelled of rotting fish & seeing so many flies crawling on the uncovered unrefridgerated meat. Obviously people do not get sick from this but I don't undertsand how this is possible.  On the other hand, I did like the markets because there was so much to see & it was all so different than my usual life.

The fact that on our first day in Bangkok both Rebby & I felt as though everyone was smiling to our faces as they tried to rip us off.

Tuk-tuks! They looks so fun- carts attached to motorcycles that serve as taxis but they're such a scam, They quote you a low fare but they don't tell you they are also going to bring you to several tailors, travel agencies, etc. & want you to buy something as they can get a free gas coupon. Rebs quote, "Please! Why won't you just take us straight? straight? To the hotel! Straight!" to a very angry tuk-tuk driver who was yelling at us for not staying long enough at a travel agency we never wanted to go to in the first place. Rebs thought he was going to drop us off in a random, dangerous spot & we'd be stranded, didn't happen but he charged us about 4 times the promised amount by the time he let us out at our hotel.

The guys on our trek who, on the second day, when or guide asked us if we wanted to go the easy way or the hard way replied, "Hard!" ALSO the equally tired girls who did not argue with this leaving me vastly outvoted in my desire for an easy, light day of hiking.

RLS- Restless Leg Syndrome. Despite the fact that Rebs insists it is all in my head (it's NOT) a condition that plagues me especially on planes when I am trying to sleep. The persistent feeling of needing to move my legs. So annoying! Although, admittedly not Thailand's fault.

The hardness of hotel mattresses in Thailand. After 2 night on bamboo mats we were looking forward to sleeping in a bed. However, we soon realized the mattress felt exactly the same! An upside to this is the sensation of crazy cloudy softness I experienced in our bed back home.

I realize most of these complaints have to do with comfort & aesthetics but what can I say? I'm a comfort & aesthetics kind of girl.

1 what would you say?:

Mark Justin Josephs said...

Dude what about la FOOD