05 February 2009

sand in my boots, words in my mouth, & phlegm in my throat


Yep. That's the latest update.  I got the greatest pair of pink rubber galoshes in time for a retreat & for the 1st time in my history it did not rain on our retreat weekend.  But I ended up having to wear them all weekend anyway b/c I forgot to pack other shoes so I'm sure I looked slightly deranged all weekend. The retreat itself was awesome. The teens were so engaged, open, & thoughtful in all of the activities; they exceeded my expectations. Also, we had 18 great leaders which makes any retreat really fun & easy to run. So, yay! Yay! to a great experience & Yay! to it being done.


"misquote"unquote

Recently there was an article written about me & youth ministry in a local Catholic publication. That in itself is rather flattering & I feel happy that someone thinks I'm doing a good enough job to warrant a write up but the weird thing is the article quoted me. A lot. Incorrectly.  The writer was the one who interviewed me & she quoted me talking about the things I spoke about but not my actual words. Am I right here in assuming that if there are quotation marks around a statement that is supposed to be a direct quote? Part of me knows this isn't a big deal. She didn't quote me as saying anything I disagree with per say but it's just not my voice. My voice is much more, how-do-you-say? young? with-it? irreverent? funny? specific?  It's strange to have people compliment me on an article that does NOT represent me accurately at all. I try to wave it off - not out of modesty but more out of embarrassment. It's a bit like being complimened on your daring new style when really you've just ran out of clean laundry & had to make do with vaguely matching clothes. 

This has also happened to me.

And finally, I'm a sick monkey. A whiny, sick monkey.  And I'm... well, sick of it. So sick of it that I don't even want to write about it anymore.

0 what would you say?: